Proposition 64: Marijuana Legalization. Initiative Statute.
Proposition 64 Ballot Summary:
- Legalizes marijuana under state law, for use by adults 21 or older.
- Designates state agencies to license and regulate marijuana industry.
- Imposes state excise tax of 15% on retail sales of marijuana, and state cultivation taxes on marijuana of $9.25 per ounce of flowers and $2.75 per ounce of leaves.
- Exempts medical marijuana from some taxation.
- Establishes packaging, labeling, advertising, and marketing standards and restrictions for marijuana products.
- Prohibits marketing and advertising marijuana directly to minors.
- Allows local regulation and taxation of marijuana.
- Authorizes re-sentencing and destruction of records for prior marijuana convictions.
A “Yes” vote means:
A “yes” vote supports legalizing recreational marijuana and hemp under state law and establishing certain sales and cultivation taxes.
A “No” vote means:
A “no” vote opposes this proposal legalizing recreational marijuana and hemp under state law and establishing certain sales and cultivation taxes.
Read the full text of California Proposition 64 here.